Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fort Morgan AL. and An Old Ship










You can click on the pix to enlarge them.




I thought I would share some of our trip with you all.
On our trip this past weekend to Gulf Shores, AL. we got to see the old ship that was uncovered years ago by Ivan. The folks that lived in the area tried to burn it the news said, but then it was covered back up some if I am remembering right. Then Ike uncovered it even more. It is in Fort Morgan, AL. so we had to go check it out. I really feel for the folks that live there since everyone wants to see this thing. Since the shrimp festival was there this weekend I am sure loads of folks were in and out of there all weekend long. They had folks tromping through their yard all weekend. :( We went by for just a few minutes and looked at it and took a few pix. I never realized there was SOOOO MUCH metal in an old ship. This thing is huge, as you can see in the pix. The sand is still really deep in and around it. You can see metal sticking up out of the sand to the left of one of the photo's, that is one side of the ship.


As you can see in one of the pix, there is more metal out in the edge of the water.

You can read more about it here. http://www.orangebeach.ws/2008/News/2008-09-15-Hurricane_Ike_reveals_Mystery_Civil_War_Ship.html

Some discussions going on about the ship

http://www.history-forums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35875

2 comments:

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I think that is neat. I wonder why the town doesn't do something to try to preserve the old ship?

My Colonial Home said...

Very nice! My husband has been to Gulf Shores but not me...some day maybe.
Thanks for sharing.
Karen