Monday, January 18, 2010

Homemade Washing Powders

Yep, I made my very own washing powders last week and I really like the way it cleans our clothes and makes our whites really white! PLUS I love the way it smells. My nose itches when I get on the laundry detergent isle and THIS recipe doesn’t make my nose itch. I used bar soap Ivory because I couldn’t find the Fels Naptha bar soap they talked about in the recipe. It smells so fresh and clean when I pull it out of the washer and put it in the dryer.

You can go to google.com and do some research on the homemade washing powders. There are loads of folks making their own these day. Whether it be because of allergies or cost. You can make liquid OR you can make powders. The recipe below that I used are powders.

 

 

 

Laundry Detergent

1 cup Fels Naptha or Ivory soap (grated finely)
1/2 cup washing soda (Arm And Hammer makes this but it is NOT baking soda!) But I didn’t know this and am using the baking soda because it’s already mixed up. ;)
1/2 cup borax

Mix and stir in lidded container. For lightly soiled loads, use 1 TBS. For heavily soiled loads use 2 TBS.
Estimated cost: $1 for 32 TBS (this was on the recipe)

I used an old food processor that was left in the house when we bought it to grate the soap but you can just hand grater also the recipe states.

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

http://www.frugalmom.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6455

 

Sorry I can’t remember where I found that recipe!

 

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2007/08/various-recipes-for-green-cleaning.html I LOVE this ladies blog! She has all kinds of cleaning supplies on here and all kinds of cleaning ideas etc.

 

Fels Naptha soap is here along with the washing soda……. http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/15.htm

 

 

Here is also another link for making washing powders. It is complete with step by step instructions and pix.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap2.htm

 

Next I want to make us some homemade bar soap. Here is a link I plan on using when I get all the items to do this with. HOMEMADE BAR SOAP   She said she used a stamp to make the design on the bars of soaps. I’ve got to find out if any stamp will work. I saw on one of the sites I was looking at that they make their own liquid soap as well. The grate the soap and put water in it and use it like liquid hand soap. My skin is just horrible in the winter time and they said this was good on the skin. So I have got to try it because my hands basically stays in water!  She said she hated bar soap and she uses this liquid soap for body wash and for hand washing. I have just GOT to make this one for my poor skin!!

http://lifemoreabundant.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/better-than-sales-and-coupons/

1 comment:

Susan said...

I have thought about doing this for years but never have. Also can't find washing soda (?) here. Maybe I'll look at some of the other "recipes" and finally make some this weekend. Thanks for the links and recipe Rose!