Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Canning Soup

Don’t you just love it when you get to can up a bunch of things for the winter time for your family? I know I do, and I canned up 16 quarts of Beef Vegetable soup yesterday. I had another quart and a half but I put it in the fridge for us for lunch today because hubby was chomping at the bits to eat some of it. He came inside saying how gooood it smelled. (wink) I eat a small bowl of it myself at lunch time yesterday. He was out mowing and had already eaten by the time I got to. You know how it is when you’re doing something you can’t just stop on, you have to finish before you can eat. I had to finish cooking it in the microwave though since it wasn’t completely done. (it hadn’t been canned yet)

To find out how long to pressure can my soup I checked HERE. It said to can it for 75 minutes at 11 pound pressure. I actually canned it for longer than that though. I always use my timer so I can make sure on the time.

P9191004

The ingredients in it are, peas, tomatoes, tomato juice, butter beans, corn, onions, potatoes, carrots, string beans, and I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

I got the recipe from HERE. Gina over at HomeJoys has some awesome looking recipes on her blog!!! I also canned her Chicken Corn Soup a couple weeks back. It’s really good to! I think this is the best soup I have EVER made though! It is SO yummy! I didn’t get but 17 1/2 quarts but I was missing a couple ingredients that I  thought I had. I remember standing over the celery in the grocery store and I must have gotten side tracked because when I went to get my celery out of the fridge there was none there. I had about 1/2 pint bag in there that I had cut up  and had left over from making the chicken corn soup. So I used that and added some celery salt to help flavor it. I also added more beef broth because I really love the broth in soups.

P9191006

More shots of the canned soup.

P9191003

I WILL be making this one again! Gina said on her blog that she saves her chicken broth when she boils chicken and when she is ready to open a jar of her chicken soup she uses the broth and throws in some noodles in it and get the noodles cooked and then she throws in the jar of soup and heats it through. That way you have way more soup. I plan on doing that with my beef soup but using beef broth instead of chicken broth.

Rose

No comments: