Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Cooking

I don’t know about you but I sure enjoy cooking for Christmas when I have the energy. Today I have been working like Santa’s little elf making some Christmas goodies. I made 2 more batches of my peanut butter balls, and then I made hubby some Oatmeal Chocolate Coconut Chewy’s and I am here to tell you those things are nothing but yummy and chocked full of chocolate chips! Here is that recipe if you’re interested and I have NO IDEA where I found this recipe so I hope no one will get upset with me for sharing it. I am not claiming it as my own.

 

Oatmeal Chocolate Coconut Chewy 
Yields 5 dozen


Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup shredded coconut


Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F .
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the milk and vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture until well blended.
Stir in the oats, chocolate chips. walnuts and coconut until evenly distributed.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven for a chewy cookie or 14 minutes for a firmer cookie.
Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet and then remove to wire rack.
Cool completely and then store in tightly sealed container.

Also made our dog, Buddy some treats and here See below) is that recipe if you’d like it.  I made a double batch of them and got 97 treats and I have no doubt in my mind the dog LOVES them! It was so funny because the first one I gave him to try he came back to me in the kitchen and stood there watching me waiting on another one! lol Also don’t know where online I found this recipe but just wanted to share it in case someone was interested in having it.

 

Dog Treats

Don’t forget to purchase a dog bone cookie cutter.

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 tlb. baking powder

1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)

1 cup milk

 

Directions

preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder.

In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk.

Then add dry ingredients and mix.

Place on a lightly floured surface and knead.

Roll dough into 1/4” thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes.

Bake 20 minutes on greased pan until lightly brown.

Cool on rack.

These cookies will burn easily so keep an eye on them.

 

and now for proof they are yummy…. Smile

Pc172913

Pc172907

Pc172910

The cookie treats cut out with the bone cookie cutter. The cookie cutter is about 3” long.

Pc172898

Cooked on the cookie sheet.

Pc172899

Now for hubby’s cookies……

Pc172902

Then the peanut butter balls……

Pc172904

I’ve had this peanut butter ball recipe for many many years. A good friend of mine, Vera Anderson gave it to me wayyyy before I even had a computer so I know I didn’t get this one on the internet.

So I’ll share it with you as well. It’s very easy to make!!

 

Peanut Butter Balls I ALWAYS make a double batch!

 

1 package of graham crackers crushed

1 box confections sugar

2 sticks melted butter

1- 1 pound jar peanut butter (I always use creamy)

2/3 block gulf wax (paraffin wax)

6 oz. chocolate chips

 

Directions

Mix crackers, butter, sugar, and peanut butter together in large bowl.

Roll into balls and refrigerate 2-4 hours.

Melt chocolate and wax together in a double boiler so the chocolate wont burn.

Then dip balls in chocolate and place on wax paper. I dip mine with a toothpick and then just wiggle the toothpick a little so it will fall off onto the wax paper.

**************************************

Now tomorrow I will try to do some pecan sandies and some old fashioned molasses cookies. Also I’ve got to dip the peanut butter balls I have in the fridge chilling.

I hope you are getting your Christmas cooking done and all your shopping as well.

I wish each and every one of you a VERY VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: